Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"That's our victory, our victory over the dark...."


Today I needed to cry, so I spent my afternoon watching Bette Davis films. She was the most magnificent actress of the 20th century, in my opinion. She had such amazing presence and an almost divine way of showing emotion. Today some say her acting was over the top and not realistic but as Bette said herself, "If you want reality, talk to the green grocer." Her movies always end with the most amazing lines that are so larger than life and memorable that just to see the ending of one of her movies is enough to make a skeptic a permanent fan. Who could ever forget, "Don't ask for the moon, we have the stars."; "A woman is only beautiful when she's loved."; "That's our victory, our victory over the dark."; "I'll get you, even If I have to crawl back from my grave to do it." So many amazing performances all larger than life. Who wants reality when as Miss Davis said, "Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life."


No comments:

Post a Comment